Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mrs Clinton Chooses Tatarstan for Second Stop

Hillary Clinton visited Kazan, capital of the Russian Republic of Tatarstan today. She noted that Orthodoxy and Muslim religions co-exist peacefully there and the republic serves as a good example of religious tolerance.





Earlier, after official meetings with high ranking officials including President Medvedev, Mrs Clinton addressed students at Moscow State University and participated in the unveiling of a statue of American poet, Walt Whitman.





Seems to me that Hillary Clinton is well equipped personally and professionally for her work as Secretary of State. I'd say she's a great choice for that job.

2 comments:

~~anna~~ said...

Walt Whitman is popular is Russia?
Enough to have a statue?

I'm just curious as to what it is about him, his life or his writings that would make him popular there. Of course, it's been a while since I read anything by him either. :)

Eileen said...

See Anna, now you're asking me questions that I can't answer. In fact, off-hand, I couldn't tell you one single thing about WW - much to the chagrin of Some teacher Some where who TRIED. Anyway, just happened to read about Mrs Clinton's visiting there...As I recall it's on the campus of Moscow State University (?). Interesting connection between WW and #gay rights groups who were protesting something or other there near his statue. There are those who believe he was into that lifestyle...