Monday, November 03, 2008

When a Diamond Slips Through Your Fingers

Greetings from Kiev. I'm off on another gypsy journey, this time to north- central Ukraine. This is part of my on-going visa adventures. . .

But look where all I've been lately. If you're one of the five or six dear souls (wink, wink) who visits this blog, you'll remember about Russia's new visa law and the adventures it has brought me. In a nutshell, those of us with religious activity visas or business visas are permitted to be within Russia only 90 of every 180 days, in other words half the time. Imagine, being forced to travel. (Note to self: Check about a frequent flyer type program for train travel.)

Anyway, I've been really looking forward to returning to Kiev for a couple of reasons. One is to get more photos. But photographing Kiev in autumn was a minor reason for wanting to return. But time out for a quick look at a few highlights of Kiev. Because of course you really, really want to see some. . .

St Andrews Cathedral of Kiev.

The World War II exhibits honoring the common people affected by war. With a sprinkling snow, that would be extra interesting. 

Then there's the main square in downtown, central Kiev. Thanks to CNN, you may have already visited there.

Oh and then our good buddy, Yuri the Ukrainian folk singer in traditional garb. (Is his name Yuri? Maybe, maybe not. . .)

But at the very top of my list was to sit and visit with Rick Pinzchuk.  I've been collecting stories from heroes of faith and, amazingly, the first I heard about this fascinating man was at the very end of my last visit. And there was simply no time to get together..

(Photo Erik Tryggestad: Christian Chronicle.)

I was absolutely shocked to read that he died abruptly and suddenly of cancer just two weeks ago. And I'm just sick about missing that chance. Thanks to Erik Tryggestad for the fascinating story about Rick's life and ministry, a pioneering evangelist to Ukraine. Since arriving here in Kiev last Friday, I've gotten to visit with several who knew him and worked with him over the years. Still, I missed a golden opportunity.

Dear blog reader, can you possibly relate to this? Letting a treasure absolutely slip through your hands?

Carpe diem! Seize the day!


No comments: