Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Meet the Border Birds

Last week, these little sparrows were hanging out in thickets along the Ukrainian-Russian border, apparently unsure and unconcerned as to which country they should pledge their allegiance. What a simple life. These little birds have the right idea though: They’re loitering in front of a building that says Little Snacks, a sign that's seen better days.


When I see a sparrow, what comes to my mind is the refrain from the old hymn, . . . for His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me. Often the timing is perfect and I have to smile and relax a bit because usually I’m hurrying along somewhere, out on the street and a bit anxious about whatever.

The words are from a hymn of the same name based on Matthew 10:29-31. Following is one of the verses.

. . .Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


(Words by Civilla Martin, 1905)

As I edged closer with my camera, dozens of birds darted off the bushes to the building. (Chick-ens!) Can't help but think that there's an analogy in there somewhere. . .

But my favorite of the bunch is the sparrow perched solo there under the Russian letter H, which is the letter N in English. Sometimes I feel like that little bird: Perched in transition. Sort of belonging to the building birds, sort of belonging to the bramble birds. But living in-between and flying solo when need be.

Please help with this. What analogy might there be here with these sparrows? Feel free to fly by, provide a comment and enlighten the rest of us. . . hanging around at the border.

3 comments:

Alida Sharp said...

I love your photo! You have such a great eye!

Unknown said...

Ah..His eye is on the sparrow (singular) - that solitary life - the one alone under the H. She stands apart, perhaps drinking from the cup her Father gave her, a cup that requires sacrifice, devotion, and long hours of waiting and listening to His voice...adnah...

Eileen said...

Thank you Alida, glad you like the bird photos too. Aren't they so pretty with their neutral colors? Got to admit that I do alot of tweaking of photos( lightness/darkness) and cropping. Aren't we fortunate to be in the age of digital photography!

Jeannette, thanks much for stopping by. Aha - took me a minute there but I caught your *adnah!* ;) Yes, God is good. We have a wonderful song for children that in Russian is so poetic, in English pretty choppy but it starts out "In the loving hands of God, a little bird is not afraid of evil. In the loving hands of God, it's nice and warm for everybody." I feel like a little bird sometimes resting in the cupped hands of God, being protected. =) Thanks for your note. EE